This is a great vacation spot because there is something for everyone! Please feel free to ask me about any of these area attractions. Most are within 15 minutes of the cottage. A few are within 30 minutes. For your convenience, you may click on the activity below and you will be taken to their web site, if available. Contact: JennyMcMillan@Comcast.net
Our Personal Favorites!!!
- Knoebels Grove Amusement Park: Walking distance from cottage. FREE Admission. 50+ Rides including Roller coasters, a Ferris Wheel, Old Fashioned and more. Award winning park. Pennsylvania's Best Kept Secret!
- Knoebels Crystal Pool & Water Slides: Walking distance from cottage.
- Ashland Pioneer Tunnel: Tour a real anthracite coal mine! Ride on a 1920s Steam train!
- Centralia: Nearby Abandoned Town consumed by an underground mine fire. A good hike and includes Graffiti Highway and some interesting sites.
- Red Deer at Rolling Hills Farms:
Tour the farm and feed the deer. This one is a huge hit with us and so
many of our renters. Affordable and very close to cottage!
- Rickett's Glenn State Park -- This is about an hour drive but for us, it is worth it! Stunning waterfalls.
- And finally for the Science Oriented families --- there is a Gravity Hill down the road from the cottage. The car goes up hill when in neutral.
- Point Drive In Movie Theatre. Just about 10 miles from the cottage.
- Yuengling Brewery & Museum: Take a tour of America's Oldest Brewery. Located in Pottsville..
- Lake Tobias Wildlife Park:Safari tours are the main attraction at the Park. Specially designed cruisers take you across 150 acres of rolling land where you see herds of wild and exotic animals from around the world.
- PPL's Montour Preserve: Cross Country Skiing & 15 miles of Hiking Trails.
- Bill's Old Bike Barn: A Unique collection of Vintage Motorcycles and Americana Memorabilia!
- Canoe the Susquehanna River: 15 minutes from the river.
- Jerry's Antique Car & Collectible Museum: Over 20,000 items of interest that will bring back memories. Located in Pottsville.
- Valley Gun & Country Club: Largest Trapshoot in the US.
- Three Ponds Golf Course: 5 Minute Drive.
- Cherokee Golf Course: 18 Hole, Public.
- Broken Wheel Bison Ranch: Visit the Bison, tour, and meat sales. No web site available.
- 24 Nearby Covered Bridges: There is an annual covered bridge festival each year at the Knoebels Park the first or second weekend each year. The Covered Bridges are a major attraction in the area. Pennsylvania has more covered bridges then anywhere in the country. People travel from all over the world to see them.
- Fishing: 1 day licenses are available. Fish in Roaring Creek behind the house. There is also Susquehanna River and Locust Lake.
- Nearby Colleges & Universities include: Bucknell University, Bloomsburg University, Susquehanna University. All within 20 minutes.
- State Park Information: 1-888-PA-Parks. Nearest state park is Locust Lake. Summer activities at Locust Lake including boating, fishing, hiking, biking, trails, and hunting. Winter include ice skating, ice fishing and sledding.
- Whistlers Mother Statue: From the 1871 Painting by Whistler. Ashland, PA.
- Benton Rodeo: Featuring Exciting Rodeo Events, Bare Back Bronc Riding, Crafts, Fireworks and more!
- Clyde Peelings Reptiland: Perfect for an Environmental Education.
- Susquehanna Valley Winery: Tours & Wine Tasting. Danville, PA.
- Eye Yee, Inc. / Blue Grass Music: Danville. There is also a huge Blue Grass Festival each year normally around end of June or early July.
- The Children's Museum: Bloomsburg, PA.
- Brace's Stables: Horse Back Riding, Trails. Located in Benton.
The Knoebels park also has a lot of pleasant entertainment including magic shows, jugglers, parades, arcades, Fascination (if you like Bingo - you will LOVE this one), variety bands, polka bands (town is rich in German, Polish and Czech heritage) and so much more. Knoebels also has a great assortment of food. Some of our personal favorites are Cesari's pizza, the International Cafe and the Alamo. A family of 4 can eat a meal for $20 - $25. Prices are reasonable. This is another web site about Knoebels -- an unbiased view! http://www.offroaders.com/Destinations/Knoebels/index4.html.
For additional recreational activities and a complete listing of antique shops and festivals, please visit www.itourcolumbiamontour.com.